Sunday, October 30, 2005

A thought about holidays

A Happy Diwali to all the readers of this blog !!! I feel funny writing this, because more Americans read my blog than Indians ("more" is a relative term, hence out of the total people who read my blog). So I was thinking what am I going to be doing this Diwali? Go to school, take a midterm, read two papers for a class, and then go to a class. This got me thinking what if the weekend was only a day long, "just Sunday" and then have more holidays throughout the year. It would be like India, where you do have a holiday for Diwali, Christmas, Eid etc and not have a two day weekend. On an average we did have about 3-4 days of holidays in a month. America is a true melting pot, with more and more immigrants becoming a part of the mainstream culture, having holidays for different religion festivals in not totally an alien concept. Though how would Americans (or as a matter of fact even immigrants) feel about cutting short the weekend? Given the American lifestyle cutting short the weekend seems a more radical concept to get used to, even though the total number of days you get off would end up the same. I would like comments on this issue. Just see if people can even remotely think about such an idea.

1 comment:

joel said...

I think a lot of people like having 2 days in a row off. If the holiday of the week was not right before/after Sunday then you would have one day off and then some work days and then another day off. It would be a lot harder, or impossible, to take off for the weekend. I mean, you would leave on Saturday afternoon and then have to be back by Sunday evening, so you have all of maybe half a day to fool around. I guess it wouldn't matter to me though, since if I leave on Friday I need to be back before Sunday anyway. Maybe it would be better to change some more regular holidays to floating holidays (wouldn't really work for school though). That way atheists (like on Dr. Jone's blog) would be offended less often because they wouldn't be forced to celebrate religious holidays.